Network of Arab Alternative Screens (NAAS)
Membership Policy and Procedure (effective 31 March 2021)
1. Core Membership
Eligibility Requirements - Core Membership
- Cinema space with daily program and box office*
- Ciné-club, film society, and/or film festival offering a platform, programs, and/or access to knowledge
- Multidisciplinary space with at least a dozen screenings a year*, with a focus on Arab films
3. Applicant maintains a community around film throughout the year.
*Not applicable during lockdown due to pandemic
Obligations - Core Membership
Privileges - Core Membership
2. Affiliate Membership
Eligibility Requirements - Affiliate Membership
- Media and publishing platform
- Educational initiative
Obligations - Affiliate Membership
Privileges - Affiliate Membership
Applicants who fulfill the relevant eligibility requirements may complete the membership form.
NAAS accepts new membership forms on an ongoing basis, and they are reviewed annually by the staff, which shares the list of qualified applicants with current members to consult them for a period of two weeks. Accordingly, the staff makes recommendations to the Steering Committee and Administrative Board, both of whom must authorize decisions to accept or reject applications. The staff may request to conduct an interview with applicants.
Once a new applicant is accepted as a member, NAAS will issue a letter confirming the membership category, and the applicant will sign a deed of adherence to this policy. If the new applicant is denied membership, the reason for the decision will be outlined in a letter.
Members must update the membership form on an annual basis. The staff, Administrative Board, and Steering Committee assess and review all memberships on an annual basis, taking into consideration the circumstances and contexts of applicants.
Current members may apply for a different membership category if their eligibility has changed.
Members are required to integrate NAAS acknowledgments into their communications activities upon signature of the memorandum and to pay the annual membership fee sixty (60) days of invoice.
NAAS uses a flexible sliding scale for the membership fee system that is adjustable to accommodate its members’ specific context and economic situation. We, therefore, invite our members to contribute with the amount they deem affordable and fair to them. Thus, the amount of $150 for core members and $50 for affiliate members is a suggested contribution rather than an obligation.
NAAS recognises the support gesture of members who wish to contribute an amount higher than the proposed annual membership fee to make the services provided by the network accessible to all regardless of their financial situation.
Membership is canceled in the following cases:
- A member does not fulfill one or more of the relevant conditions and/or eligibility requirements.
- A member violates the shared values of NAAS and/or the objectives of the organization as per its bylaws
- Incapacity to follow through with commitments of membership as stated herein